Sunday 22 July 2007

how to be a domestic goddess

I think that the trick is to be selective, to show the finished cupcakes on a cut glass platter:


but not the dishes that are waiting to be done:



Show the knitting needle roll, made with Marimekko fabric:



but not the toys strewn all over the floor.


Going by my own instructions I think that I fail as a domestic goddess but it has, nevertheless, been a lovely domestic day - a few loads of washing, some ironing, two batches of cupcakes (choc cherry for today's afternoon tea and choc mint in the freezer for next weekend), and I finished sewing the needle roll. I've been working on it for a couple of days but didn't mention it bc it was a present - happy birthday Olivia! I pretty much made it up as I went along but took some inspiration from my own knitting needle roll (custom made by Nikki-Shell) and from the instructions in Stitch n Bitch (thanks for the lend Kirsten!). Nichola also helped me out with some sewing tips - thank you!

I have had my sewing machine for three or four years now and honestly, I think that this is the first complete item that I have ever produced! I really enjoyed making it (although some of the angles are a bit dodgy) but it has increased my confidence and I think that I could try some children's clothes.

For those who like to bake I recommend 500 Cupcakes which I rely on for all cupcake-worthy occasions. Each recipe has some five or six variations which is how the book manages to come up with 500. I've used a dozen or so recipes so far and all have been successful. My only hint would be to make a half quantity of icing, even that's more than enough.

4 comments:

Di said...

You're right- you need to edit like a maniac to be a domestic goddess! Nice to see you keeping it real :) (and making some progress with the sewing!)

nikkishell said...

Ah, the joys of being a domestic goddess eh? I know ALL about it.....heh heh.

Unknown said...

Love your blog! I agree about not wanting to show the behind-the-scenes aftermath that comes with any project, but really it is so nice to know that I'm not the only one who uses so many dishes when I'm baking. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge believer in blog editing. You rarely see the mess. Only the good stuff is worth noting, right?

I guess it is good to allow a little peek from time to time just so we can make others feel more normal.