Sunday 1 June 2008

winter

The first of June is, of course, also the first day of winter and it really feels like it. My hands are chill as I sit here typing. Not that I am complaining - I love cold weather and think that Melbourne would be perfect if only it would snow here. (I know - Seattle - be careful what I wish for.)

And just in time for winter I have finished the green tweed beret. Heavens, it never even made it onto my 'busy with' list it all happened so fast.

The Vital Statistics
Pattern: Tweed Beret by Kristen TenDyke from Interweave Knits Winter 2006; 22 inch size
Yarn: Jo Sharp Silk Road Aran Tweed in shade Highlander;
85% Wool, 10% Silk and 5% Cashmere; not sure how many skeins (maybe a couple) as they were partly unravelled from a piece of knitting; all given to me by a dear friend
Needles: bamboo 4.5mm double-pointed needles to begin with; then Knit Picks interchangeable 4.5mm circular (note to self: must remember to return these to the owner)
Start to finish: 18 May 2008 to 1 June 2008
Comments: This was a good quick between projects fill in projects (not that I am between projects in the sense that I have nothing else to get on with, just every now and then you need something quick to knit right now - that was this). This is an easy knit if you are happy with knitting in the round - I started on dpns (cast on at the centre of the crown) and graduated up to magic loop on a circular. I was a bit unsure about the circumference of the brim and actually worked extra rows and decreases only to find that once I had cast off it was tiny. So yes, trust the pattern.

I still have two skeins left over plus some extra and plan to use it to make Dashing for Tim.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Lovely beret!
I've been knitting them myself of late. For some reason, they seem to take so much longer than a beanie. Of course, there is more knitting in on them and so they should take longer, but they seem to take heaps longer.
I wonder why?
Lovely yarn!