Tuesday 21 October 2008

il conformista

A day and a half without internet - ouch!

Anyway, another sneakily named 'this is ...' post. This is my favourite movie, Bernardo Bertolucci's Il Conformista from 1970. To begin with, I just love the way that the title rolls off the tongue.
I can't even quite remember when or where I saw this film but it had a major impact on me - the storyline, the visuals, the narrative. I believe that this was one of the earliest films to experiment with splitting the narrative's timeline. It's a long time since I've seen it but the film plays forward from the beginning and I think from halfway through the story in alternating episodes.

I won't go into the storyline except that there is a real sting in the tail. A fabulous film!

(Quick note of linguistic interest - those familiar with the Italian language will know that words ending in the letter 'a' are most often feminine and preceded by the article la. Il conformista is an exception and this is because the word is derived from Greek rather than Latin which is the basis of Romance languages.)


In other film news, we went to the cinema on Friday evening. The first time on many months and the first time since we came to the US. Joel and Ethan Coen's Burn After Reading - a complete farce but very funny. I laughed a lot, out loud, along with the rest of the cinema which is a good join-in thing to do. But oh Brad - I'm sorry, you don't look so good.

Oh and a quick reassurance to my dear readers - I am completely not the Vegas type. Perhaps that's why I'm so excited about going. There will be no shows and no gambling, just the aquarium, some op shopping (what happens to those old costumes, I wonder?) and general shuddering at all the neon of it I expect.

Image details here.

No comments: