Sunday 23 November 2008

project knitting

Thank you all for your very kind words about the baby ballerina top - it has been a most gratifying project and was well worth the perseverance. Now that it is complete though, I have an opening in my project knitting category. Project knitting is, well, projects - things that I want to make because they look great, or look like an interesting knit, or look like a challenge, or spark my imagination or curiosity.

At least, there was an opening in my project knitting category:

I cast on yesterday for the swallowtail shawl using the lace weight yarn that I bought at Value Village and subsequently dyed. I have done two repeats of the budding lace pattern and am a couple of rows into the third. That's a lifeline there out of sock wool and I think that I may need to use it shortly - I need to take a good look at it tomorrow in the light when I'm a bit more awake.


And in the background? Yes, that's snow! Not here in Seattle but a couple of hours drive away in Mt Ranier National Park. The snow was fresh and dry, the sky was bright and clear. We continued a bit further up the road into the park but as we rounded the mountain it became dark and wet and a bit scary so we turned back. A few minutes down the mountain, bright and clear again. Amazing.

Surprisingly, this is my first lace project. Yes, I know there's a difference between lace knitting (increases and decreases on both right and wrong side) and lacy knitting (increases and decreases only on the right side) but I don't really see the point of the distinction. Anyway, lace is why I started knitting ... three or four years ago. And finally I have gotten around to doing some. Amazing.

No comments: