Sunday 8 February 2009

boutique knits

Hooray! Finally, a knitting book that I can gush about. I've been so grumpy about the last couple that I've borrowed from the library.

This is a book of patterns for items that you would, indeed, find in a boutique. That is, there are lots of added details and idiosyncratic touches which I don't necessarily like - for instance the buttons on the Argyle Lace Hat - but which do elevate the patterns to boutique quality. I still plan to make the Argyle Lace Hat, omitting the buttons, which is much easier than buying a hat from a boutique with the intention of altering it. And maybe that Side Slip Cloche (on the cover), less the ruffle detail.
And maybe also ... actually, that's what this book was about for me - I'd like to make that but I'd change this, that or the other. And I think that's a great thing, the book is inspiring.

There were also a number of patterns in here that I didn't like but was nevertheless impressed with, such as the Half-Felted Bag. It's not at all my style but it does look like something that you would buy at a boutique and I'm really glad to see that type of pattern being provided. Part of the quality of the designs is, of course, all of that extra detail including the use of adornments such as Chicago screws, cord lock stops, D-rings, and sew-on magnets. What is a Chicago screw? The book also includes information panels on the materials and techniques used.

The layout and colour scheme of the book is a but different to what I usually think of as Interweave (namely the Scarf Style, Wrap Style etc family of books). I liked the swathes of colour and pattern that accompany the images. Boutique Knits: 20+ must have accessories - must have a look.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Now this looks like a book I'd like. I'll keep my eyes open for it.