Sunday 26 April 2009

door prize

Today I attended a knit-in for feminist scholarship held at the Phinney Neighborhood Association; all funds raised today are to be donated to the University of Washington Women Studies Department to pay for undergraduate awards for activism, service and academic rigour. Why they needed to have a knit-in to raise this money is all to do with budget cuts and economic downturns and other concepts which really have no place on this blog even though they seem to have saturated the rest of our lives. Anyway, hooray - I won a door prize. A hank of Pagewood Farms Yukon Hand Dyed Sock Yarn, which is a merino/bamboo/nylon blend, in the colourway 'crayon'.

Alas, attending a knit-in and winning doorprizes is about as much as I feel I can do for feminist scholarship at the moment, or scholarship in general. I used to think that I would be a uni student forever; whenever I became interested in something my first thought was to do a degree in it. I used to feel that the structure of formal study was what was necessary to make my learning real, to validate it. Key words there are 'used to'. That structure of reading lists, essays, exercises, due dates, exams - I'm afraid that I have passed that phase in my life.

Where does this leave my health economics study? In limbo, until I finally get around to writing a letter asking to be officially discontinued. Sigh. More time to knit I guess.

3 comments:

sewing the seeds of love said...

Congrats on the door prize !
As for failure to finish the health economics study...let me point you back to your earlier post..why sit in a lecture theatre all day and then write 3000 word essays when you can be at home and watch BB play on her leggo telephone ?
The little people in our lives afford us an alternate education that is far more wondrous !

Di said...

Lovely door prize. I too am definitely past exams and reading lists etc. The school of life is so much more flexible, and there is plenty to learn out there without having to deal with application forms and procedures!

Rachel said...

Happy door prize. I love that colorway. I pet it every time I go to my LYS. They carry a couple pagewood farm bases & I haven't been able to make up my mind which one to get.