Tuesday 16 February 2010

perle 8

I got some thrift shopping in today - hooray! And at a thrift store that I had not known existed what more (and I pride myself on knowing these things). The Northwest Thrift Store (14130 Juanita Dr. N.E., Ste. 108B Bothell, WA 98011 (425) 820-2662. 10:00am-7:00pm. Mon-Fri 10:00am-6:00pm. Sat 12:00am-5:00pm) is what I know op shops to be like in Australia - it's small, friendly and interestingly does not have that thrift store smell so familiar to the big chain places.

For a smaller place I did suprisingly well - a set of red Tommy Hilfiger queen size cotton interlock sheets which I will use as backing for the wagga (yes, I'm still working on that); a grab bag with some Filatura Lanarota 100 per cent cashmere yarn, enough to knit a baby hat; some cute boys trousers and Timberland shirt; two childrens books; and another grab bag with a few skeins of DMC embroidery floss and a few balls of coton perl
é 8.

Coton perl
é 8 - whoo-hoo!! I always look for this at the thrift store and while fine crochet thread like Cebelia is easy to come by, this was my first success finding it. Some time ago I was consulting with a quilting friend (that's you Justine) about the estate sale quilt and how I could go about working on it. She recommended coton perlé 8 for the quilting and when I had the epiphany that it comes in 200-odd colours, well, that was it for me: I started collecting. Because why be required to go to the shop to find a matching colour if you could just consult your stash instead? I have about 40 so far, mostly purchased from ebay. Now I'll have to start working on that quilt.

2 comments:

Ann Gibson said...

For the record, I was with Amelia and scored 2 children's books, a sewing book, a children's puzzle, and best of all: a pair of purple Crocs that should fit my youngest this summer. When she's done with them I can probably ebay them for more than I spent on everything.

gusseting said...

you know what else you could do with that cotton? embark on a non unlike sophie digard mission with those colours, combining and crocheting them into something dainty. i'd imagine that you've seen and admired the crochet in bright star, yes?