Tuesday 21 December 2010

ganomy

Ganymede? Monogamy? Ganogymy? Ganomy.

The Vital Statistics
Pattern: Ganomy Hat (June) by Elizabeth Zimmerman from The Knitter's Almanac.
Size: child size
Yarn: Rowan Lima (84 per cent baby alpaca, 8 per cent merino wool and 8 per cent nylon) in colourway Lima.
Needles: 5mm.
Stash/recycle content: I'm counting this as stash in the sense that I didn't purchase this yarn for the purpose of making this hat; I just bought it earlier this year for no particular purpose other than curiosity. Oh well, it's gone from the cupboard now!

Start to finish: 27 to 30 November 2010.

Comments: I think that it is worthwhile doing paired increases on the front and back - the first increase is M1L, the last is M1R (this is the back of the hat); the front increases in the centre of the round are are M1L k2 M1R. My gauge was a bit less than called for on this hat so I knit a bit less in length as well.

Verdict:
The dip that creates the earflaps on this hat is a wonderful effect of the double increases and decreases. If I were to knit it again, which I'd certainly like to, I would make the point a bit less pointy; not completely rounded but just a bit smaller.

I was very pleased with the fabric that the Lima creates, it's very smooth and even. It took less than a ball (I'd estimate about 90 metres) so if you're looking to use up some single skeins, this is a great choice.

* And thank you to our neighbour for modelling as one of my children won't sit still and the other refused to even put the hat on ...

2 comments:

Soxblues said...

Hello! I am so happy, that I found your Ganomy hat! I copied it from your blog in my German blog. How many "Maschen" (how many)did you start with? How old is your child exactly? Could you please please answer? I would love to know how you did it. And as I am a German, I dont understand the knit-write of Elizabeth Zimmermann.

Thanks
soxblox@googlemail.com

Kali Gillespie said...

Just came across this as I looked for a certain Zimmerman hat that I saw on a baby today. This isn't the one- but I like it alot- nice work!