Tuesday 24 May 2011

that one sweet promenade

I want to see the sun go down from St Kilda Esplanade
Where the beach needs reconstruction, where the palm trees have it hard

I'd give you all of Sydney Harbour, all that land and all that water
For that one sweet promenade

We are sufficiently recovered from our trip to Melbourne that I can actually stop and reflect on it a bit. I love Australian singer-songwriter Paul Kelly's work and particularly this song, From St Kilda to King's Cross. Maybe it's that Melbourne-Sydney rivalry thing but ah, that one sweet promenade ...

This is actually a song that Tim plays on his guitar and sings, so this last trip when I caught the tram with miss bear along St Kilda Esplanade, I pointed out the palm trees to her and reminded her of the song. She recently saw a picture of somewhere and said 'look, it's Australia'.

It really is true, my past is a foreign country.

No comments: