Thursday 25 August 2011

jarrett

Hooray!

The Vital Statistics
Pattern:
Jarrett by Kim Hargreaves from Rowan's Vintage Style.
Size: Medium with extra length in the arms.
Yarn:
Cascade 220 in shade Walnut Heather; almost eight skeins.
Needles:
4mm and 4.5mm.

Stash/recycle content: Just a little bit. I added elbow patches that I cut out of a rather ugly suede skirt purchased at Bellevue Goodwill. I actually bought the skirt to cut out elbow patches to mend a friend's husband's sweater but the suede turned out to be just the right shade for this project too.
Start to finish:
15 March to 13 August 2011 - five months, not bad.

Comments: I put a lot of effort into this knit! I learned and used the long-tail tubular cast-on for hems and cuffs, cast off the neck in similar fashion (not sure where the link is for that one but it involved Kitchener stitch), lovingly knitted the button and buttonhole bands until they fit when gently stretched, single-row buttonholes, a row of slip stitch crochet to reinforce the neckline, and quite a lot of stocking stitch.

I did knit the moss stitch elbow patches and shoulder flaps, I even crocheted around the edges to try and neaten them up but they just didn't work for me. Instead I sewed on very professorial leather elbow patches and dispensed with the shoulder flaps altogether.

The buttons we purchased together at my beloved The Button Shop in Melbourne when we were there in April.

Verdict: Pretty happy. Tim is over the moon that I have finally knit a garment for him (this was my first men's garment!) The fit is good in terms of the size I chose and the sleeve length but still I think the design itself is a bit roomy in the upper sleeves.

Oh and that old-fashioned knit-the-button-band-separately construction is such a pain. And so outdated. Knitting this has made me really curious to take a closer look at the seamless knits that are around. Sometimes it seems as though new designs are just the same old cardigan or sock with a different lace stitch plugged in but seamless construction, top-down set-in sleeves - it's exciting that there is still room for innovation in knitting. Speaking of which, next up for Tim is Brownstone in brown; ok, 'espresso'.

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Wonderful work! No wonder he is pleased,it looks like a nice fit and a very "boy" colour. Great job on the elbow patches too, very professional :-)

Ann Gibson said...

Beautiful job. Love the elbows.

I sympathize with the desire to get away from separate bands, sewn on -- but the problem is, bands require a tighter tension and/or fewer rows to keep their shape.

One solution I know of is to knit the bands with a smaller diameter DPN; leave the DPN in the band and switch to it when you get to it. Fussy, and how do you keep the DPNs from falling out?

Came across another solution recently: work short rows every 10ish rows, so the band ends up with fewer rows. I may have to try that one. See this project:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Patrick/italian-cotton-cardi-for-liz